Buying Property

Q: What is the general buying process in Turkey?
A: After paying the reservation fee, your lawyer should carry out the title checks. A contract will be drawn up between the seller and purchaser. This will give details of the completion date, payment schedule and terms and conditions. When this is signed by all parties, the deposit is paid. You then apply for a security clearance to allow you to own a property in Turkey - this will often be applied for on your behalf by the developer. You can sign a Power of Attorney to conclude the necessary paperwork, if your circumstances require it. back to top
Q: What documents are required?
A: Your passport(s) which will be copied and translated into Turkish and passport sized photographs. The notary's office works in conjunction with the title deeds office and the Aegean Army. The translated documents will be checked by the army to ensure there is no record of criminal intent or activity against Turkey and that any property being purchased by a foreigner is not in the proximity to or intended to be used for any military purposes. back to top
Q: After I have received the necessary permission to purchase, what happens next?
A: Your lawyer should carry out pre-completion checks. Following this, you (or your Power of Attorney) will sign a deed of transfer in front of an officer at the Land Registry, who then records you as the official owner of the property. The property tax is paid at this stage. back to top
Q: What additional costs are there in relation to the purchase?
A: You will pay stamp duty, legal fees, wealth tax and purchase tax. The latter is just 3% but sometimes split 50/50 with the purchaser, so that you pay 1.5% of the amount shown on the title deeds. back to top
Q: Can I get things like: Telephone line / mobile phone contracts etc.
A: Telephone lines can be obtained only for those holding residency. H.P. agreements are at the discretion of individual outlets. Mobile phone contracts are available. back to top
Q: Earthquake Tax?
A: It is a statuary government requirement that all new buildings have earthquake insurance cover. Additional cover can be purchased. back to top
Q: Where can I get house insurance from? Are they good, reliable?
A: You are recommended to use the services of a Government Registered company who will offer various packages tailored to your needs.back to top
Q: Notary - who will take me there? Will they speak English? Will all documents be translated into English?
A: All customers will be accompanied to the Notary by English speaking staff and all procedures will be explained in full. All documents are in Turkish but a translation of the Power of Attorney is available from us. Any other translations can be arranged with a government approved translator for a small fee. back to top
Q: What is a Tapu? Will all the papers be in my name?
A: The Tapu is the Title Deeds for the property. The tapu will be registered in either joint or single names at the purchaser's request. back to top
Q: Are they Free Hold properties?
A: All properties are freehold unless specifically stated. back to top
Q: How do you get residency, if at all? If not, how long can I stay at any one time?
A: Residency details are available and is relatively easy to obtain. Prior to obtaining residency entrance visas must be renewed every 3 months. back to top
Q: What should I expect to pay in community fees?
A: This can vary from development to development. Your lawyer should look into this for you. back to top
Q: Are there any ongoing taxes?
A: State property tax, environmental tax and wealth tax. However, these are relatively low and again your lawyer should be able to advise you. back to top
Q: What about paying for energy and water supplies if my main home is not in Turkey?
A: The easiest way to pay for your electricity is by direct debit via a bank in Turkey, similar to the UK. Currently all water bills are paid direct to the local Belidiye (Council) office. back to top
Q: Can I rent out my property?
A: Yes. The main season is from April to October but you will still be able to rent it out over the winter at lower rates. At the height of the summer, you can expect a more than reasonable return. back to top
Q: What about furnishing my property?
A: Many developers offer furniture packs. Alternatively, there is a wide range of furniture shops for you to explore. You should allow anything from Ł5,000-Ł10,000 to furnish an average sized property up to showhouse standard. back to top
Q: Is it necessary to learn the language?
A: No but as with anywhere in the world, it always brings advantages. back to top
Q: How do the locals treat foreigners who purchase there?
A: You will find Turkish people extremely hospitable and friendly. back to top
Q: Are families/children welcome?
A: Most definitely. There is a family orientated culture in Turkey and children are welcome almost everywhere. back to top
Q: How safe is the country?
A: Turkey is a very safe country with a relatively low crime rate. back to top
Q: What about the healthcare in terms of the standard and costs?
A: The standard is generally very good. All foreigners have to pay for medical treatment and there are reciprocal private health plans available from the UK which will be accepted in the private hospitals. You can purchase a health insurance plan in Turkey up to the age of 55 years. back to top
Q: What about schools and colleges?
A: As a resident, you can send your children to local government or private schools. Both offer a good standard of education. The private schools are international and accommodate pupils from all over the world. back to top
Q: How does the general cost of living compare to the UK?
A: Fresh produce is great value for money. You'll find most items up to 50% cheaper than in the UK with electrical items being the most expensive. back to top
Q: What about eating out?
A: Again, you will benefit from the relatively low prices. Being a Muslim country, you will often find Pork and its associated products excluded from the menu, however, there is a wide choice of other meats, seafood and vegetables. As well as Turkish cuisine, you will find English, Italian and Indian restaurants quite commonplace. back to top
Q: If I move to Turkey, can I take my dog/cat with me?
A: Yes. You must first obtain a 'pet passport' and vets documents. back to top
Q: Can I work there?
A: Yes you can but you must obtain a work permit first. back to top
Q: What is the government system in the country?
A: It is democratically elected as in the UK. Turkey is also one of the five permanent members of NATO. back to top

Frequently Asked Questions

Step-by-step guide to helping you buy your property on the Turkish Mediterranean...
back to Buying Property page.

Pool Maintenance, Complete Cleaning Services, Gardens/Landscaping, Payment of utility bills, 24 Hour Service and more... Managed Services Page